First announced in October 1928 and introduced in 1929, the Armstrong Siddeley 12hp was offered to the market with a variety of bodies; two seater coupe, four seater tourer or fabric saloon. The cars were built alongside aero-engines and had the same Aeronautical Inspection Department standards applied, which saw the small 1.2 (or later 1.4) litre six cylinder auto engine have the same strict standards applied as a 47.5 litre 14-cylinder Leopard radial aero engine. Originally fitted with a 1236cc sidevalve, six-cylinder engine the 12hp had the stroke increased from 1931 resulting in a displacement of 1434cc (with output remaining at 12hp). Arguably the first model from Armstrong Siddeley to be offered to the mass market the cars proved refined and usable and were initially available with an othordox three speed or a three speed ‘Wilson-patented’ preselect gearbox. The cars were updated in 1934 with a four speed ‘Wilson-patented’ preselect gearbox (such as fitted to this car) and vee-shaped front grille, while wire wheels came standard on sports models.
This 12hp was purchased from the estate of a retired farmer in Geelong in the late 80’s. The Australian body was built to ensure its configuration would allow the fitment of milk containers to remain upright within the spacious boot area. The car has remained in the current family for over 30 years and has been garaged, regularly maintained but used sparingly (regularly started and has attended a few rallies in the past). A quantity of tools and a luggage ‘Trunk’ carrier (stored in boot) are also included with car.
This 12hp is a solid runner and would prove to be an ideal entry into vintage motoring.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
SHARE THIS CAR