Exhibited at the London Earls Court Trade show in 1951. This 401 was believed to be one of the original cars to have the smooth sill line rather than the stepped sill line of earlier 401 models, despite being number 275 out of 600 built in the series.
Immediately shipped to Auckland NZ on board the Rangitane, arriving in Auckland in October 1951. Subsequently delivered to Mr Percy Coutts for his Bristol Distributorship in Auckland.
They retained the car until 1955 when it was purchased by a Mr W J Moore who retained it until 1975.
In 1976 after being in an accident where the roof was damaged, and a new section imported from Bristol to Safe Air in Blenheim who were experts in alloy work and ran a fleet of Bristol Freighter aircraft.
Accordingly on completion and being repainted in silver grey the car was duly delivered in a Bristol Freighter to Wellington, repaired and refinished to its then owner Mr David Sims. This is the only time recorded in NZ that a Bristol car had ever been flown in the belly of a Bristol freighter.
By 2011 Mr Sims had covered a further 38,000 miles where the car was mainly used for touring and weekend travel.
In 2012 the car was imported to Australia by Brooklands in march 2012 at a mileage of 42,000 miles and sold to the last owner where it has remained since.
In the intervening period over $45,000 has been expended on the car including an engine and gearbox rebuild, new tyres, exhaust, brake overhauls and various other things including new tyres and battery.
All of this work is fully receipted.
Whilst never being fully restored this Bristol has been very well maintained and remains in excellent driving condition , and retaining that original feel that so many restored cars lack.
A copy of the manuals and interesting history letters and old registration details are included with the car.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
SHARE THIS CAR